Wednesday, July 8, 2009

what i think about art



These are pics from the last project I did before college ended. It was inspired by Christos umbrella project, which i love because its beautiful and dramatic, and its outside and connecting with the world. I didnt know what this was, it was my attempt at just doing something and figuring it out afterwards. I really wanted to start working with the city, the involvement with the public, but I like to do it from an anonymous point of view. I like not being there. I guess to me the artist is only ever present in spirit or something. Theyre in the work, not the space. not physically there i guess. The myth of the artist and all that, if the artist is there its their work, you understand it as they do, not as you could.
Anyway, Im putting this up because it is the first step in the direction of the kind of stuff i want to be doing. i want to be doing stuff in the city, relatively anonymously. i think.!!! Like the piles of flour, i want to make stuff that make people think and question, but come to their own conclusions. It really didnt give us anything but time and space. Thats why it was amazing. Maybe ill do something like that in limerick. The only thing is can i call it art? can i get graded on it? personally i dont mind if it doesnt get called art, its life, its important, and its not the label i give it that matters. Im just realising I dont want to be a gallery type artist. I read a really interesting article the other day in a free magazine that replied to a comment (made by marcel duchamp i think) that said the best artists will go underground. it makes sense, art shouldnt be done for money, in my opinion, its that fluxus idea that art is life and life is art and thats the vibe i love and get in edinburgh and berlin. Art is everywhere and everyones making it. the best stuff is the stuff thats available to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment